Sunday, March 15, 2009

I LOVE Boston!

Hey, folks!

Today is Sunday, beginning of Spring Break, it is currently 10 degrees outside (50 Fahrenheit, for the US readers), and I just came back from a lovely lunch at PhoBasil, on Mass. Ave. I have decided I really love Boston. I love living here.

This is the first time I've ever lived outside of my country, and my city of origin, São Paulo, Brazil. I've been living here for the past 2 years and 4 months, and this city has become a second home for me. The main big thing here, especially in comparison to Brazil, is the weather. A lot of people can't take it and would not like to live in a place that gets so cold for so many months out of the year. But I actually don't mind the cold. Of course, some times it really gets to be TOO MUCH, but most of the time it's just nice to be able to drink hot chocolate, stay under the blankets, light up the fireplace and watch a movie. Of course, the fact I have a working fireplace in my apartment may help me accept the cold, lol.

Another very different thing is how the Seasons are very unique and defined. Summer, Spring, Winter and Fall, with their very specific temperatures and characteristics, making you feel like you live in 4 different cities, since Boston becomes a completely new place with every passing season. By the end of winter, you can't remember how it is when it's summer, and vice-versa, which is very nice...if you like change. And I love change!

The fact you can walk everywhere here is a big change for me too, back in São Paulo we need to have a car, it's kind of like LA, everything is very spread out and far away. Also, living so close to Berklee and to all my friends, everything and everyone is so close, a couple of blocks away at the most, and we're always going to different parties and visiting friends and being visited by them, which is something I personally like very much. The food aspect, however, is hard to ignore...compared to back home, the food here really sucks, lol. Unless you cook yourself, the restaurants are usually either "ok" or very overpriced for what they offer. If you go to places like the North End or some restaurants in Somerville or Allston, you can find very good food, but usually expensive, so out of reach for normal student budgets.

But the truth is, after showing the city to so many visitors, family and friends that have come to spend some time with us here in Boston, after going so many times to the North End for dinner, Mike's Pastry for deserts, walks in the Commons and the Public Garden, the South End, Beacon Hill, shows in Allston and Cambridge, visits to the Museum of Fine Arts, the New England Aquarium, clubs in the Theater district, soccer at MIT every Saturday, trips to the New England Six Flags, I've come to love it as home. Plus, being here in 2008 and seeing the Celtics and the Red Sox be champions, and the Patriots get to Super Bowl, was AWESOME!

I just wanted to share that with everyone...for those who also live here, do you share this passion for the Hub? For those who don't but have been here, have you been properly introduced? If you've never been, consider this a formal invitation, this city has a LOT to offer to anyone with a good pair of legs and willingness to explore!

Until next time...

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment